Monday, May 7, 2007

Old Market

First of all, thank you so much, everyone, for your very nice comments and birthday wishes! I really appreciate them!
A while ago, I posted a couple of pictures of The Old Market, and promised more to come. I went downtown for lunch with my mom for my birthday, and spent some time wandering around with my camera afterwards. In the next few days, I will try to share with you what life is like in the Old Market. This is the place where Omaha was born. Many of the buildings have been there since Omaha first started to grow. For those who take the time to look up, you can see the original names on many of the buildings, giving an idea of what this business district used to be like. With stretch limos driving alongside horse-drawn carriages on the streets of uneven brick, the Old Market is an amalgam of history and modernity, and people from all walks of life, from the very formal to the most casual. Something is always happening. In and among the old buildings, there are restaurants, bars, clubs, pubs, and a great eclectic variety of fun stores to shop in. One of my favorite things to do is people-watch. It's so interesting to see different kinds of people downtown for all different reasons.
I hope you enjoy this little trip through this enchanting part of my city! I recommend clicking on the photo to see the detail of the street musician, pedestrians, restaurant fronts, and even Ollie the Trolley (more on him in the days to come).

6 comments:

Dsole said...

sí, un edificio con mucho encanto!
Y en la esquina derecha se ve un tranvia con un "recién casados"?

Perdona que no escriba en inglés tengo el cerebro ralentizado... esto de trabajar se me hace muy duro!!!
Es broma, pero casi no tengo tiempo para dedicarme a esto... ays :)

Carol E. said...

Happy Birthday! I was in Omaha recently and enjoyed my visit. Some photos I took are at my other blog, Giraffe Dreams. Check it out if you are curious!

Anonymous said...

That is a big building and in nice shape too without gaugdy signage on it. I like the trees in front.

I got to fly last night. I mean I just dove in and flew. You can find out how on my blog post today.

julia said...

This is very similar to buildings I know of, lovely timber beams inside, often converted into apartments. must call to look another day.

Omaheña said...

dsole - muy buen ojo! Para la foto de martes, pondre otra foto del tranvia con los "recien casados". y no te preocupes - prefiero el espanol!

carol - Thank you! I will be checking out your blog soon.

Abe - I'll have to go check out how you flew!

Julia - A lot of these buildings do have apartments in the upper parts. I have only seen some of them, but the ones I've seen are a lot of fun.

Carol E. said...

Back again. I didn't notice that this photo shows Spaghetti Works which is where I ate when visiting Omaha! I only noticed it when I clicked to enlarge, to see the message that Dsole had noticed.